Sunday, October 14, 2007

Tracing, and toys (and perhaps tracing toys)


I spent most of this afternoon up till around 8pm working on the latest project for DMA101: the sketch trace. I'm using my Egypt material and although it's taking a while, I'm looking forward to seeing it to completion...I think it has some potential. I guess what was the most interesting was its evolution from a collection of rough ideas to the sketch itself, to the final concept, which was really Joe's idea.

This got me thinking about ideas and how we come up with them. The Egypt work started with a brainstorming session in DMA179, and everyone derived something unique from it. We all came out of the class with at least a couple of expandable concepts. Coincidentally, brainstorming was the subject of Daria's class on Friday. We spent part of the class working on initial ideas for advertisements; the process of thinking aloud let us pool ideas and gave us material to play around with and modify. We found ourselves throwing out random things and making connections that worked.

On the subject of concepts, we're also working on toy ideas for DMA179. Somehow I arrived at these subversive fairy tale figures and mythology keychains. Maybe it's because we had expandability in mind, and the easiest way to do that is to start with a large pre-existing group of characters. Anyway, I'm not sure what we'll end up developing further, but it's going to be interesting.

No comments: