Sunday, November 18, 2007

Logos R US

Day two of noticing logos: I had to remind myself to notice them--which reinforces the point of the exercise. Logos are so commonplace that my mind doesn't always consciously register them. I went about with a small notebook making a note of emblems on people's apparel and bags etc. (when I remembered, that is). Also, I tried to take some photos on my phone while on the bus, but I didn't get too many because I felt as if other passengers were giving me odd looks...clearly they don't think there's anything on Steeles Ave. worth capturing on camera [I didn't take pictures of people's clothes and such...I figured I could get in trouble for that].

From my observations, I found four brands which were most visible: Nike, Roots, Adidas and Reebok. In my sample set, Roots cornered the backpack market while Nike was the overall winner for footwear. Anyhow, here are some photos I took (the first bunch were taken during my bus ride):


























As you can see, logos are everywhere you turn...from your phone to your mp3 player, to your notebook, pen, and stick of chewing gum...virtually every object has become a source of prime marketing space.

No comments: