Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Noticing things (again)

If you will recall the days of yore, a certain assignment will come to mind, in which we had to select a common object (with which we often come into contact) to pay attention to. Well, I didn't quite pick a winner last time, so I'm revisiting that exercise. I took the suggested idea of logos and tried to notice those I saw. Not surprisingly, they're everywhere...we're inundated by symbols wherever we look. It became a bit ridiculous trying to take note of all the logos I saw outside, because every corporate office had their emblem on the building, as did chains and franchises.

Here's one funny thing, though; I happened to take YRT and VIVA to get to school yesterday (I usually go by TTC), and I realized that they have absolutely no print ads on their buses, and hence no logos displayed besides their own (I could be mistaken about YRT, but this was definitely the case for VIVA). However, VIVA has a little TV screen which runs looped ads (and inane 'news' and celebrity gossip), so I guess there are a few logos to be seen if you pay attention.

I also tried to watch out for logos on people's bags, clothes and shoes, and again there were too many to keep track of; I think tomorrow I'll just focus on this area and try to keep a running tally of those I see, like a poll of sorts. It might be interesting to see if there are any brand preferences.

On a more sketching-related note, this is what I worked on when we were using watercolours. The first one is my unfinished painting, and you can see from the accompanying photo that it needs some more work as yet.






























This last drawing is one I did some time ago and tried to adjust somewhat yesterday. I would appreciate some feedback on this one; I'm not sure if I've got the positioning of the arms right for that particular pose, i.e. if she's aiming in the direction I've indicated, would she be holding the bow like that? Also, would her head be tilted upward? As I said...some input would be invaluable to me.

No comments: